If you keep up with my blog, you’ve probably noticed I’ve been a little MIA. The past few weeks I have really been focusing on myself and learning more about myself. When we truly know ourselves, that is when we can help others. It’s true when they say that you can’t pour from an empty glass. You have to take care of yourself first, before you can take care of anyone else. Loving and knowing yourself will give you so much more insight into other people and how you can better help them as well.
I’ve been reading books, cleaning as therapy, learning new things, crafting, consuming as much content as possible on self help, new age type things, philosophy, ASTROLOGY. That’s what I’ve been super into lately. It is so interesting and tells so much! I’m not talking about the horoscope a day type thing. I mean real, actual astrology. It’s super interesting. And also ties into my point about helping and healing yourself before you can heal or help others. In astrology it is talked about that the universe and everything on Earth is within us too. So when we work on ourselves we begin to realize how every person or living thing relates to us in some way. We can be more compassionate, loving and understanding because we see ourselves or a piece of us in someone or something else.
Self care is super important as it relates to skin care as well. Stress, depression, anxiety, etc. all these things lead to inflammation, which causes all kinds of problems including ulcers, aging, wrinkles, acne, etc. All the bad stuff. It is important to take care of your mind, body and soul so that you are better able to help others. What is the point of life if we aren’t doing something to better the quality?
Skin care as your self care is actually a super awesome way to get started. When we do things for ourselves, we feel better, in this case we look better and our day just goes better. Since skin is the biggest organ on our bodies, we must treat it with a holistic approach. You can’t just slather on creams and serums but continue to eat like shit. It’s important to maintain a super healthy diet (you can always have cheat days.. no one can “diet” forever) and good skin regimen. Also, when you start to eat right, you’ll notice a huge difference not only in your skin, but your mood and just life in general. Seriously, give it a try! There’s nothing to lose!
AT HOME SPA SELF CARE IDEAS
- Wash your face every day, 2x a day
- Moisturize! Face and body!
- Detox bath – add epsom salt, baking soda, and your favorite essential oils. You can also add other ingredients for skin such as coconut oil, my body butter I make, milk, oatmeal, or even fresh flowers.
- Give yourself a pedicure! Use the same ingredients for the detox bath above, but only soak your feet. Get all the tools and use a scrub for your feet and legs. Clip, cut do what your toes need and paint on a pretty color. It’s surprising how painted nails make us feel better. Or at least it does for me!
- Face mask! I make custom masks or you can do a DIY food mask! My favorite is avocado and honey, it makes you soooo soft. Both the food masks and my custom masks can actually be applied all over the body! Food masks can generally be used for hair too!
- Hair treatment. Grab some coconut oil, my body butter, Argan oil or any other good hair oil! Flip upside down and massage into your scalp. Try to keep this on for at least a couple hours (in a towel) or even overnight if you can. Wash out (it may take a few times) with a gentle shampoo. Voila, beautiful hair.
MY FOOD TIPS
- Only shop the perimeter of the grocery store. This is generally where all the fresh foods are.
- If you have to question ingredients, don’t eat it.
- Replace sugar for honey.
- Eat red meat sparingly, or not at all.
- Cut as much dairy out as possible or altogether. Start by replacing milk with almond, cashew, etc milks. Lessen your cheese intake, especially if you have breakouts or acne. Switch over to a vegan cheese (this can be tricky cause you have to find the perfect one, otherwise it’s literally like rubber lmao)
- FRUITS AND VEGGIES. Eat them. Eat them all.
- WAAAAATER *Spongebob voice* You have got to drink water. Stop saying you hate the taste of water or never drink it. You’re stupid. Drink water. Divide your body weight in half and try to drink that much in ounces a day. Hydrate throughout the day also. Don’t just gulp down glasses all at once.
- Use cooking, finding new recipes and trying new things as your therapy. Put your phone down (after you found the recipe) and put your heart and time into cooking a good meal. It’s so satisfying trying something new, making it yourself, and it being delicious.